Some time ago I picked up Glynn Seal's 'The Midderlands' setting - as it's a fantasy take on the area where I live (i.e. The Midlands) ...so it was hard to resist :)
It's an OSR setting (so it's compatible with most of those kind of games) ...and since I've just picked up Chris Gonnerman's Basic Fantasy RPG - it's got me thinking about setting a game in the Midderlands ...and putting a fantasy spin on some of the stuff/areas that are familiar to me (just for a little one-shot to give BFRPG a test run).
The chapel itself had fallen into ruin (despite it only being around 100 years old) due to the fact that it had become unsafe - as it had been built on top of old mines (my area is riddled with them).Patreon page (note that you don't have to be a patron to download them - they are not hidden behind a paywall or anything like that).
Anyway, here's some of the things I was thinking about when drawing the map:
- The steps down from the chapel (into the crypts) are filled with rubble - though this can be cleared given enough time (though it's noisy work).
- A crack in the floor of area 3 leads down into area 6 (there's even a handy pillar spanning the crack that folks could tie their rope to).
- There is a secret trapdoor in area 5 that leads down into an evil altar (or similar) in area 9 (as I'm thinking the original builders weren't exactly what they seemed ...and maybe the new occupants are their 'cursed' descendants).
- A large hole in the floor of area 6 overlooks area 10 of the mine.
- The mines themselves are the main 'nest' of the ratfolk (or similar).
Anyway, I've rambled on for long enough - so here's hoping that you can put the map to use in your own game :)
TLDR: A full size map can be downloaded from the Patreon page for free.