Saturday 23 January 2016

One Mini Every Week #4

Since I managed to get 2 mini's painted last time (and thus, I am currently one mini ahead :) ), I hope you'll forgive me if I've strayed a little from the original plan the stuff I've been painting this week might not be what you'd usually think of as 'miniatures.'

Anyway, these are a few pieces that I have cast (in plaster of paris) from one of my Hirst Arts moulds (it's the #85 mould - about half way down THIS page). I've actually had them sitting around for ages (so nothing new there), and so I thought that now would be a good time to slap some paint on them.

However, once I'd got them painted, I was a little unsure about how to base them - as I wanted to glue several pieces to each 'base' (to function as scatter terrain) ...but I didn't want that base to be tied to a specific environment (i.e. if I flocked the bases they would look a little out of place in a dungeon, or if I based them on dungeon tiles they might look a bit odd in a cave, and so on).

Obviously, this is a very minor problem (indeed, some might say that it's not really a problem at all) - but I thought I'd try to address it nonetheless :)

So, in the end I decided to try out some clear plastic bases (I got these particular ones from Hurlbat Games' ebay store) - and  as you can see, basing them this way means that they'll look good no matter what type of map/tile/terrain they are placed upon :)

It's also worth noting that, while Hurlbat Games usually sells their bases in a packet that contains just the one particular size, I simply dropped them a message to ask if I could purchase one packet that contained a mixture of all the different sizes ...and they were more than happy to oblige.

* * *

#oneminieveryweek on G+ and facebook


  1. I think the clear bases look really good. Good idea.

    1. Thanks. Yeah, I think they'll work well for stuff like this :)